Sep 21, 2023
The Physical Therapist Assistant Program is delivered to the students at Broward and Edison State College via distance learning technology. Lectures are broadcast in real time so that all sites participate in lecture classes together. The individual sites manage lab sessions. The clinical education component of the program is managed by the Academic Coordinator of Clinical Education at the Broward site. The program provides the student with the opportunity to develop technical skills relative to physical therapy through planned clinical, classroom and laboratory experiences. The graduate will be prepared to provide a variety of services under the direction and guidance of a supervising physical therapist.
The program is a full-time day program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE). A licensing examination is required upon completion of the two year program and the Physical Therapist Assistant shall be eligible for an appropriate membership category in the American Physical Therapy Association. The program is offered at the Edison State Lee County Campus.
This is a limited access program with the degree awarded by Broward College. Admission information is available by calling the Edison State College Health Technologies Office at (239) 489-9255.
Physical Therapist Assistants Typically Earn:
Median annual earnings of physical therapist assistants were $41,360 in May 2006. The middle 50 percent earned between $33,840 and $49,010.*
According to the U.S. Department of Labor there are approximately 216 annual openings in Edison State’s service district. Consistently, 90% of Edison State graduates from this program are locally placed.*
* Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupa-tional Outlook Handbook, 2008-09 Edition, Physical Therapist Assistants and Aides, on the internet at http://www.bls.gov/oco/ ocos167.htm (visited Jan. 4, 2008)
- Private Clinics
- Athletic Organizations
- Rehabilitation Centers
- Nursing Homes
- Home Health Agencies
- School Systems
Criteria for Admission to the Physical Therapist Assistant Associate in Science Program:
- Applicants must have a minimum G.P.A. of 2.5
- Applicants to the program will be ranked by the number of general education courses completed and the earned G.P.A.
- Applicants must successfully complete a continuing education course: Online Test Drive prior to the start of PHT courses in Term I, August. Completion of this course is not required for application to the program. Registration information will be provided to students following application to the program.
- Applicants must complete a Medical History and Physical Examination prior to the start of PHT courses in Term I, August. Completion of the physical is not required for application to this program. Physical examination information will be provided to students following application to the program.
Requirements for the Physical Therapist Assistant Associate in Science Degree:
- Complete a minimum of 74 semester hours of credit and a degree grade point average of 2.0 or higher.
- Complete the following courses with a grade of “C” or higher:
All students are encouraged to participate in the Basic Skills Review prior to FCELPT placement.
Degree Core Requirements:
First Year Term III - First Semester
MAT 9012 & MAT 9020 Sequence Accepted
Total Term Semester Hours: 10
First Year Term I - Second Semester
Total Term Semester Hours: 18
First Year Term II - Third Semester
Total Term Semester Hours: 15
Second Year Term I – Fourth Semester
Total Term Semester Hours: 17
Second Year Term II – Fifth Semester
Total Term Semester Hours: 14
* Requires a pre- or co- requisite. See course description in Broward or Edison State catalog.
Successful completion of the Physical Therapist Assistant Program will satisfy the SACS Oral Communication Standard and basic computer skills requirement.
** Students must fulfill the computer literacy general education requirements within the first 15 hours of BC credit by successfully completing the basic student technology test or pass the CGS1060C at BC to earn the desgree OR an equivalen computer course at Edison State College.
Upon successful completion of PHT 1200 and PHT 1200L, student will have met the Health Careers Core objectives.