The Human Services Program is for those students wishing to build a rewarding career helping others who are experiencing personal and socialization problems. This field is on the Workforce Development Board's list of high need and high pay as a growing field. The Associate Degree in Human Services will prepare you for entry-level positions in social services or for transfer to four-year colleges or universities to pursue human services, psychology, social work, sociology, and other related social sciences majors. The College would earn the approved status for Certified Addiction Professional and Certified Addiction Counselor. This degree may be offered online or in a face-to-face setting.
The Human Services Program has selective admissions. Because enrollment is limited, a point system for admissions will be utilized.
In addition to the admission requirements for the College, the following are requirements for admission to the Human Services Program:
- Graduation from high school or receipt of a General Educational Development (GED) certificate.
- Completion of admission requirements to Edison State College.
- Completion of learning assistance courses, if required, by the start of the program.
- Completion of general education and program prerequisite courses as defined below.
- Attainment of a minimum grade of “C” or above in all general education courses, including prerequisites, required for admission to the Human Services Program.
- Submission of official transcripts from post-secondary institutions showing completion of any of the prerequisite or corequisite courses.
- Completion of the Human Services Application along with the $15.00 application fee receipt.
- Application deadline: June 1st of each year.
Additional Program Requirements:
- Completed medical exam form including immunization and TB status
- FLDE criminal background check
- 10-Panel drug screen
- Bloodborne pathogens, first aid, and CPR certification
Professional Practice Experiences (Internships):
The Human Services Program has three separate professional practice experience courses. Students will be assigned to a specific healthcare facility or virtual lab simulation for the completion of these experiences.
- Student assignment to facilities or lab simulation is made by the Human Services Program faculty based upon site availability.
- Facilities will be selected from within the Southwest Florida region which includes Lee, Collier, Charlotte, Hendry, and Glades counties.
- Students are expected to provide their own transportation to and from the professional practice sites as assigned.
- Professional Practice Experiences are only available during weekdays.