The Associate in Science (AS) in Criminal Justice Technology is designed for students seeking a professional career and prepares students to work in law enforcement, corrections, private/industry security, and other criminal justice, legal or public service related fields. This program prepares students to work as criminal justice practitioners/supervisors/managers in law enforcement agencies, correctional institutions, juvenile courts, crime laboratories, and mobile units dealing with physical evidence, etc. or to provide supplemental training for persons previously or currently employed in these occupations. The AS CRJT program may also be beneficial to professionals seeking incentive benefits or career enhancement in the field.
This program is a planned sequence of instruction consisting of 60 credit hours in the following areas: 18 credit hours of General Education Requirements, 30 credit hours of Criminal Justice Technology Core Requirements, 9 credit hours of Specified Elective Requirements in either Homeland Security, Legal Environment, Crime Scene Technology, or General Criminal Justice, and 3 credit hours of Open Electives.
Many courses require prerequisites. Check the description of each course in the list below to check for prerequisites, minimum grade requirements, and other restrictions related to the course. Students must complete all prerequisites for a course prior to registering for it.
Students must fulfill all requirements of their program major in order to be eligible for graduation. Students must indicate their intention to attend commencement ceremony, by completing the Commencement Form by the published deadline.
General Education Requirements: 18 Credit Hours
Criminal Justice Technology, AS Degree Core Requirements: 30 Credit Hours
Criminal Justice Technology, AS Degree Specified Elective Requirements: 9 Credit Hours
Specified electives are comprised of courses in the following areas of emphasis:
- DSC 1006 - Introduction to Homeland Security 3 credits
- DSC 2242 - Transportation and Border Security 3 credits
- DSC 2590 - Intelligence Analysis and Security Management 3 credits
- BUL 2241 - Business Law 3 credits
- PLA 2202 - Torts 3 credits
- PLA 2880 - Constitutional Law 3 credits
Crime Scene Technology
- CJE 2670 - Introduction to Forensic Science 3 credits
- CJE 2671 - Latent Fingerprint Development 3 credits
- CJE 2770 - Crime Scene Photography 3 credits
General Criminal Justice
- Any 9 credits comprised of courses with the following prefixes: BUL, CCJ, CJC, CJE, CJJ, CJL, DSC, EMS, FFP, PAD, PLA, or PSE
Criminal Justice Technology, AS Degree Open Elective Requirements: 3 Credit Hours
Electives may be taken from any 1000 and 2000 level courses: SLS 1515 required for First Time in College students.