The Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) in Supervision and Management program is designed to prepare individuals as managerial and supervisory personnel in a variety of professions. The program provides a career and educational pathway for students who have earned an Associate in Science degree in business, accounting, or other professional and technical disciplines. This degree also provides an excellent opportunity for individuals with an Associate in Arts degree and interest or experience in acquiring leadership, business, management, and supervisory skills for professional development.
The BAS in Supervision and Management program includes courses in leadership, strategic planning, accounting, finance and budgeting, human resource management, business ethics, marketing and international business. Elective choices include additional courses in management, information technology, entrepreneurship, and accounting. Courses are offered in online or blended formats, with most courses offered in an accelerated eight-week fashion, to accommodate students' various schedules and learning preferences.
- Degree Requirements: 120 Credit Hours
- General Education Core Requirements: minimum of 36 Credit Hours
- Additional Lower Division Program Requirements: minimum of 42 Credit Hours
- Baccalaureate Program Requirements: 42 Credit Hours
- Applicants must apply for admission and be accepted to Florida SouthWestern State College. Official transcripts from all previously attended colleges or universities must be sent directly to the Office of the Registrar.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Applicants must have earned an:
Associate in Science degree from any regionally accredited college or university, as defined by State Board of Education rule, with a minimum of 60 credit hours,
Associate in Arts degree, which includes the completion of the State of Florida General Education Core Requirements.
- Students with a minimum of 60 hours, with all general education and prerequisite courses completed, may also apply for admission.
- Students are encouraged to apply for admission during the term in which they will complete their Associate degree program.
- Applicants not meeting stated admission criteria may petition for program admittance if they feel there are mitigating circumstances. Applicants must submit an official petition form to the Office of the Admissions.
Requirements to Enroll in Baccalaureate (3000 or 4000) Courses
- Upon admission to the BAS program, students must attend a required orientation session prior to enrollment in baccalaureate courses.
- Students must complete ENC 1101 - Composition I , ENC 1102 - Composition II , and three credit hours of approved mathematics prior to enrollment in any baccalaureate courses (3000 or 4000 level) with a grade of C or higher. (Refer to the FSW General Education Program Guide )
- Students must complete MAN 2021 - Management Principles , during the first term of enrollment if not previously completed.
- Students must meet program criteria, defined below, prior to enrollment in MAN 4723 -Strategic Management Capstone. MAN 4723 must be completed through Florida SouthWestern State College and is not eligible for cross-enrollment.
- Cross-enrollment approval: Baccalaureate degree seeking students must obtain prior approval to cross enroll (as a transient student) in courses intended to fulfill baccalaureate program requirements. Approval will be determined by the appropriate dean in collaboration with program faculty. Students initiate this process using Florida Virtual Campus: www.floridashines.org/.
- Students who have not fulfilled the State of Florida general education core requirements must complete them. Students who transfer to Florida SouthWestern State College with a previous Associate in Arts degree from a Florida community college or Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution are considered to have met the General Education component of the degree. Students are permitted to complete remaining general education courses while enrolled in the BAS program. However, prior to enrollment in MAN 4723 -Strategic Management Capstone, students must have all general education courses completed.
- Students who have previously earned an Associate in Arts or a Baccalaureate degree from a college or university outside the State of Florida will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis to determine which courses will meet the 36-hour General Education Requirements. Students must have earned equivalent credit hours in each General Education category (i.e., 6 hours of Humanities, 9 hours of Social Sciences, etc.).
- Students are permitted to complete remaining general education courses while enrolled in the BAS program. However, prior to enrollment in MAN 4723 - Strategic Management Capstone, students must have all general education courses completed.
- Students must satisfactorily complete 120 credit hours to be eligible for graduation. For residency purposes, a minimum of 15 core baccalaureate (3000 or 4000 level) program credit hours required for graduation must be completed at Florida SouthWestern State College. All other specific degree requirements must also be met. Credit awarded for Developmental Studies instruction may not be applied toward the total number of credits required for residency purposes or graduation.
- Students must complete the State of Florida General Education Core Requirements, including any assessment of General Education outcomes that are required by the College. Transfer courses will be reviewed for equivalency. Students who transfer to Florida SouthWestern State College with a previous Associate in Arts degree from a Florida College or baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution are considered to have met the General Education component of the degree.
- The Foreign Language Competency Requirement may be met by:
- 2 years of the same High School Foreign Language, or
- 2 semesters of the same College Level Foreign Language (level II proficiency), or
- Documented foreign language proficiency through testing (for example, CLEP)
- Students must fulfill all requirements of their program major.
- Students must achieve a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Students must earn a grade of "C" or better in all baccalaureate (3000 or 4000 level) program requirements.
- Students must successfully complete the Capstone Post Course Exit Exam (minimum grade of 70%) as part of the fulfillment of the graduation requirement.
- Students must indicate their intention to attend commencement ceremony, by completing the Commencement Form by the published deadline.
Many courses require prerequisites. Check the description of each course in the list below to check for prerequisites, minimum grade requirements, and other restrictions related to the course. Students must complete all prerequisites for a course prior to registering for it.
General Education Courses: 36 Credits
According to Florida Administrative Code Rule 6A-14.0303 and 6A-10.030
Each student must successfully take twelve (12) semester hours of writing intensive coursework demonstrating college level writing skills with a grade of "C" or better. Six (6) credits must be taken in English Composition and Communication, and six (6) credits in the Social Sciences and/or Humanities.
Refer to the FSW General Education Program Guide for further details.
Communications Category: 9 Credits Required
Humanities Category: 6 Credits Required
- Humanities General Education Courses1 6 credits
Social Sciences Category: 9 Credits Required
- Social Sciences General Education Courses2 9 credits
- (Recommended: ECO 2013, Principles of Macroeconomics)
- (Recommended: ECO 2023, Principles of Microeconomics)
Mathematics Category: 6 Credits Required
- Core Mathematics General Education course, must complete with a "C" or better 3 credits
- Any Mathematics General Education course, must complete with a "C" or better 3 credits
Natural Sciences Category: 6 Credits Required
- Core Natural Sciences General Education Course 3 credits
- Any Natural Sciences General Education Course 3 credits
- Natural Science Laboratory Course3
1Must include (1) Humanities Core Course
2Must include one (1) Social Science Core Course.
3The lab course must correspond to either of the two selected Natural Science General Education courses; it may be a standalone course (courses with an "L" suffix, e.g. CHM 1045L) or combined within a course (courses with a "C" suffix, e.g. BSC 1051C).
Additional Lower Division Program Requirements: minimum of 42 Credit Hours
Minimum of 42 credit hours of approved electives numbered 1000-4999, including:
Baccalaureate Program Requirements: 42 Credit Hours
Degree Core: 30 Credit Hours
Electives: 12 Credit Hours
Other Baccalaureate Electives:
- Any baccalaureate (3000 or 4000 level) course with a prefix of ACG, ENT, FIN, HSA, ISM, MAN, MAR, MNA, QMB, PAD, and/or TAX.